Tall Fecue control

Asked June 6, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

Where can I buy tall fescue control? I can't find it anywhere including amazon and ebay. I can't find anyone who offer tfc as a service either. Do you know of a company that does? Thank you Micheal Allen Central Illinois

Piatt County Illinois

1 Response

Thank you for your question to eXtension. It is extremely difficult to control a perennial grassy weed in a perennial grass lawn, because there are very, very few selective herbicides that will kill one grass without killing all grasses.Purdue recommends using glyphosate (Roundup) to control tall fescue in a turfgrass lawn. Roundup is a non-selective herbicide, so it will kill everything it touches. This is one of the only chemicals that a homeowner can purchase and use for this weed situation.
Chlorsulfuron is a selective herbicide registered for the control of tall fescue in many turf species. Chlorsulforon is available to professional turf managers but not available to homeowners; however, professionals can be hired to apply this chemical. You would need to check the Yellow Pages for "lawn care companies" and call each one, asking who can use this product on your lawn.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.