how can I get my tomato starts to thrive..... we have no problems getting...

how can I get my tomato starts to thrive..... we have no problems getting seeds to sprout....but after they do they die before they get second set of leaves....they will grow nice and tall then lean over and die.....the stems very weak and fragile....they never get any fatter, dark and strong ?? I was told to wait for second set of leaves before transplanting them, and cover with soil leaving just the leaves.....but they always die before the second set of leaves come ?? please advise.....thanks,..: Klaus

Grant County Indiana vegetables tomato seedlings dieback

Sounds like your seedlings may have been subject to damping off, a type of root rot. This can be a problem if the media is poorly drained and kept too wet. You did not mention the type of soil you used and your watering technique. Use a soilless mixture (seed starting mixture- peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite) in containers or flats that have drainage holes. Once the seedlings germinate place under fluorescent lights. Please see our vegetable website 'Grow It Eat It' for step by step information on starting seeds indoors. http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/starting-vegetable-seeds-indoors