Butterfly garden in shade

I have a butterfly garden in a fairly shady area under a 150' cherry tree. It gets filtered sun on and off during the day and full sun in late afternoon. Can you recommend what plants would do well? Or perhaps direct me to a good resource?

Cumberland County Pennsylvania master gardener program butterfly gardening horticulture

Butterflies prefer sunny locations and all the plants I have on my lists are for sunny areas. Some of the plants may work in your late afternoon full sun if they are getting about 6 hours total. Here is a link to a garden template which lists perennials and shrubs: http://www.iconservepa.org/plantsmart/gardentemplates/Find plants that span the seasons from spring though fall.Sweet Williams are blooming now and great for spring. Coreopsis, Coneflowers, Blak Eyed Susan, Milkweeds, Phlox, Petunia, Salvia, Tall Sedum, Zinnias, Lantana, Pentas are all great for summer, and asters are good for fall.Shady areas can take Columbine, Jack in the Pulpit, Wild Blue Phlox, Goldenrod. Include some shrubs also, New Jersey Tea, Summersweet and Virginia Sweetspire. Herbs are great for hosting the caterpillars - use parsley, fennel and dill.Your Penn State Cooperative Extension in Cumberland County may also have information and handouts.