2 years ago I planted a Meteor cherry tree. Last spring I planted another and...

2 years ago I planted a Meteor cherry tree. Last spring I planted another and both trees produced fruit. The older tree is obviously larger than the younger, and I would like the younger to catch up as soon as possible. If I were to remove the buds and unripe cherries on the younger tree now, would it allow the tree to put more energy into growing and catching up with the older? Thank you!

Ramsey County Minnesota cherry trees

Well, I suppose if you wanted to go to all of that work the younger tree could grow a little faster but these trees only get to about 8-12 feet high at maturity. It wouldn't take long for it to catch up all on its own. You could augment the younger tree with a very little more fertilizer but be cautious about over feeding it! Fertilization should happen in the spring because you do not want to stimulate tender new growth just as the plant is trying to shut down for the winter.