Hello, I would like to know if the plant in the image provided is a flower or...

Hello, I would like to know if the plant in the image provided is a flower or a weed. Two years ago I planted some wildflower seeds. Among the flowers that bloomed the first year, this plant came up. I didn't find it all that appealing so I chopped it down. This year I decided to let it go and see what would happen and it is still growing. The plant is about three feet tall now. The "head" is compact like a flower would be but seems to be only producing more leaves. No aroma. grows in spring. no fruit, no cone. I just want to know if it will ever flower or am I growing a very big weed? Thanks for the help.

Kevin Blackerby

District of Columbia County District of Columbia

This is mullien. It can be a common weed (not native) or a cultivated flower. It produces a tall flower stalk covered with small blooms and can be very ornamental. You might want to let it bloom and then, if you like it, let it seed itself a bit. If you don't like it, be sure to dispose of the flower stalk before the seeds set and fall.