Our townhomes are trying to confirm whether we are dealing with spider...

Our townhomes are trying to confirm whether we are dealing with spider droppings or artillery fungus. The small dots appear on some of our homes but not all. We are planning either way to replace mulch and know we should look for bark to help avoid artillery fungus in the future. How can we confirm our problem, and any other steps to clean or prevent A.F. (if that is what we have). We will be spraying for spiders.

Ramsey County Minnesota

Thank you. 3 follow ups. Can I have the spots tested to confirm that it is artillery fungus? Will power washing improve the siding situation? Does this affect human health?

There is no way to confirm that it is artillery fungus as the spots are on the siding. You can look for the 'cups' and the moist mulch conditions as described in the links I gave you. Power washing does not work. However, if you go to the Penn State link, on the left there is a link to removing it from houses. There were several suggestions. Although I have no personal verification, several of the comments recommended the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser as working best. Please re-visit those links. There is no mention anywhere of it being harmful to human health.