getting rid of zoysia grass

I have quite a bit of zoysia grass in my yard that I am in the process of getting rid of. I sprayed with a generous amount of Round up several weeks ago and plan to scalp the dead to the ground cover with topsoil and sod. Will this do the job or do I need to take out completely?

New Castle County Delaware

Thanks for contacting Delaware Extension. You are on the right track. Several treatments with glyphosate at two week intervals is effective in killing Zoysia Grass. Zoysia is a warm season grass and will be entering its normal peak growth period in July. Still, it would be a good idea to scalp the dead grass as you are doing but to wait to lay sod until you are sure that all of the unwanted growth has been dealt with. This will take you well into June before you can renovate the soil and lay sod. Turf type tall Fescue is the sod of choice in Delaware. It is a cool season grass. For best success sod should not be laid on compacted soil or where any grass or weeds are actively growing. If you are sodding a large area, you may want to take this opportunity to get the soil tested. Instructions for doing this can be found at http://ag.udel.edu/dstp/index.html Till the area that you plan to sod to a depth of 3 to 4 inches when it is not too dry or wet. Remove all debris including grass clumps that result. Zoysia Grass has deep, dense roots so it is likely that you will find at least some material after tilling. It is at this point that you can add any amendments recommended by the soil test lab. Hand rake the area to create a uniform surface. If the soil or air temperature is high (90 degrees or more) lightly water the soil immediately before installation. After you have laid the sod, made sure the seams are tight and have rolled it to make sure the sod has made uniform contact with the soil, water the soil deeply. An in-depth watering is essential after the the sod is laid. After that regular watering will be needed until the grass roots are established. I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions.