I have an apple tree, macintosh dwarf tree planted 5 years ago that has been...

I have an apple tree, macintosh dwarf tree planted 5 years ago that has been showing signs of leaf and branch blackening and dying at the ends of branches. This is the 2nd year this happens in the spring around the time when the tree begins to fruit.

Louisa County Virginia fruit trees fruit trees apple trees tree diseases

Dear Person, Thank you for researching an answer to your question with Cooperative Extension. From the looks & sounds of your problem, I suspect you have a case of fireblight. This is a fairly common problem on many species of fruit trees and particularly troublesome in cools wet springs like we had last year in this are. If this is what it is, it became established last year and this year reinfected. Here are some resources to explore to see if you agree with the fireblight diagnosis and then how to treat. pubs.ext.vt.edu/422/422-023/422-023.html www.extension.org/pages/60354/fire-blight-of-apple#.U475ecS9KSM http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/456/456-018/Section_3_Home_Fruit-Disease_and_Insects-1.pdf