Bushy Weed

I have a fast growing bush sized weed that is taking over the yard. I attached a picture of the plant. It comes up as single flexible stalks with long, slender oval leaves. It grows 4-6 feet high and gets very thick, choking out everything else. In summer it has small five petaled lavender colored flowers.

El Paso County Colorado

I believe it may be Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis) which is a small flowering tree that can become invasive. It is a native plant to the southwest and is available in the nursery trade becasue of the ornamental flowers and its tolerance for xeric conditions.

To verify this "photo identification" I encourage you to do an image search and see if the blooms match. Matching blooms is a stonger identification characteristic than leaves. Goolge images for "desert willow flowers" and several will come up. Note: sometimes the blooms are white or pale lavendar.

Barbara:
Thanks for answering my question. I looked up the desert willow and the flower is vastly different than what is in my yard. If I may, Ill send better pictures of the greenery of the plant and when it blooms Ill send one of those. The flower is a lavender color with five petals (star shape) but it is no bigger around than a pencil eraser. It is a very small flower and the blooms are sparse, not clustered. Ill follow up with better pictures. The one I send was not a good one. Meanwhile, Ill keep looking on the internet and if I find something similar Ill let you know.
Karen

Here are a few pictures of the floeer on the plant I asked about. If you need better pictures, let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for the additional pictures. They are too blurred to identify.

May I suggest you cut off a stem 16 inches long, that includes a flower and leaves.

Take it (fresh) to the El Paso County Master Gardener Help Desk. They are located at 17 N. Spruce Street, 2nd Floor. They are open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to Noon. They can take a closer look and positively identify.

Thank you for the address, I can definitely bring it in! This plant is plaguing my yard.
Karen

Please Note!

An anonymous "expert" sent me this comment.

Note:
Hi Kerry, this woody plant is a shrub called wolfberry (Lycium halimifolium). It is in the nightshade family. Kind of invasive.