Flies in the grass

I live in the middle of a pasture, lots of sand, no livestock, no standing water (no water at all!!). When I walk outside, the ground takes off because of all the flies. The flies are everywhere--in my sod, in my weeds, in my sand. How do I get rid of them? or at least control them?

Thank you,
Peggy

El Paso County Colorado

Hello Peggy,
I am not sure what kind of fly is pestering you, I understand you have no livestock or pond? Do you have a garden, compost pile? You spoke of lawn? Any decomposing wood?
Flies are were they have a food source and/or ideal breeding condition. There are a lots of different kind of flies in Colorado It would be easier to help you if we could identify them. How big are they? what color? are they biting flies? Color or clear wings?
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05582.html
This is a extension weblink to "biting flies" and I dont know if that applies. If you read it, you will see that there has to be some food source or water source available.
Peggy, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if you cold describe the flies in a bit more detail we might come up with an answer.
In the meantime you might want to try to protect yourself with some spray if they are attacking/biting you.
Thank you

Heike, They are just regular black flies--clear wings and yes, they bite (so I made a bug shirt--like wearing mosquito netting). Now they are in the sod (of course, it's wet, has top soil under it, etc, etc) so that I understand. They used to be in the weeds, but that changed when I laid the sod (no one said they are stupid!). Anyway, I bought some "Bug-B-Gone" type of granular stuff, I think by Spectracide. I plan to spread that and see if it works. Anyway, thanks and wish me luck.

Hi Peggy,
were you able to identify one of the flies on the weblink?
Was your sod laid this year?
If not, maybe you could reduce watering a little and evaluate if that would help?

Heike,

Yes and Yes. They are common black flies. And yes, I laid the sod this year. Anyway, like I said in my previous post, I bought some bog killer granulas that I will try next week.

Thanks again for your help.

Peggy , I appreciate the update . I hope the granules will work for you . I'm also sure, once your sod is established and you can water the sod less frequently, you might not have this problem anymore. Good luck Peggy. And thanks again for contacting us with your question .