Bindweed

What is the best way to kill bindweed in my landscape bed? It is creeping up through my mulch. There is a lot of it in my lawn at the edge of the landscaping bed as well. I've read a lot of conflicting information on how to get rid of it. Pull it, don't pull it, pull it then apply RoundUp on the broken vine, let it grow out then brush RoundUp on the leaves...I'd like an official verdict from an expert please!

Tazewell County Illinois weed issues horticulture

Thank you for your email to eXtension.There are no herbicides that will selectively kill bindweed growing in a landscape bed. Anything you use has the potential of damaging the shrubs, flowers and trees it is growing on. If you choose to use an herbicide like glyphosate (Roundup), you will need to carefully brush it on the foliage, avoiding all drips onto the landscape plants.Bindweed is a perennial, and spreads mostly by roots. If you are pulling this out, you will need to get the roots out, too. Unfortunately, the plant has a very robust and aggressive root system, and this may not be possible. Therefore, pulling what you can and then treating the broken vine tips with concentrated Roundup might be a solution.Try to prevent the plant from blooming and producing seed, which will only add to your problems. If this has already started happening, after pulling the plants out, treat the bed with a pre-emergent herbicide (such as Preen). This won't do anything for the established plants, but may help prevent new seedlings.Be sure to wear protective clothing (rubber gloves, eye protection, etc.) and read and follow all label directions when using these or any other pesticide.Please let me know if you have any other questions.