My 15 year old fig tree here in Ocean City, Md has not shown any signs of...

My 15 year old fig tree here in Ocean City, Md has not shown any signs of recovering from the severe cold. No buds or leaves as of May 29. Should I trim the ends of branches that turned black? Fertilize? Water deep? Last year it produced 1000 brown turkey figs!

Worcester County Maryland fruit fig winter damage

Many homeowners are reporting winter damage on their fig trees due to our cold winter. Scratch the branches with your fingernail and look for green tissue. If you see it, the branch is still viable. If the stems are brown, brittle, and snap easily, it is dead.

You may see new growth emerging from the roots in the next few weeks. If the root system is still viable you should be seeing this new growth about now. If so, remove all of the dead canes and nurture the emerging young shoots. It will take two or three years to enjoy a fruit-bearing tree, but that may be your only recourse. In the meantime, be patient for another couple of weeks and watch for any new growth along the remaining trunks/branches.
It is possible you may need to replant.