Frozen Tree Buds

I have a Pacific Sunset Maple that was planted last summer. With the Mother's Day snow and cold here in Colorado, I think the buds froze and there are still no leaves on the tree....can I expect it to recover and is there anything I can do to help it recover?

Jefferson County Colorado trees and shrubs

If the buds froze then typically the tree will try to releaf from secondary buds...if there is sufficient stored food. It may be that the tree is suffering from transplant failure, however. It takes one year for each inch of trunk diameter for the tree to re-establish itself. I suggest, especially in this cool wet year, that you wait and see what happens. Give the tree until mid June to leaf. You could also scrape off a small bit of the outer bark from a couple branches to see if the tissue is dead or alive. If there is green under the bark, there is still life in the plant. If the tissue is brown, it is dead. This will give you a better idea of what is happening physiologically. Do not add fertilizer, as this can stress the tree. Good luck!