Hi ...Can you please tell me why most of the Leyland Cypress in our area have...

Hi ...Can you please tell me why most of the Leyland Cypress in our area have brown tips, dead branches, and are dying? Do they have a fungus....did the harsh winter hurt them? What can I do to save my leylands. I'm trying to remove dead branches. I've already lost 2, 8 foot trees. Thank you, Cindy

Harford County Maryland trees and shrubs leyland cypress leyland cypress winter injury

Many Leyland cypress in the midAtlantic were killed or suffered winterburn and other damage from the severe winter, i.e. the extremely low temperatures. Although Leyland's are supposed to be hardy to Zone 6, some cultivars are not that hardy and they are not labeled as such. Also, Leyland's that may have also been stressed or not growing vigorously, but didn't show any obvious symptoms, may have been extra-susceptible to the low temps,

You do not need to do anything other than remove dead branches and help them recover by watering them if we have an extended drought this summer.

Leylands can get diseases. They are not disease free, but the dieback we're seeing on a wide basis this spring is because of the winter.