Leaves on Akami Maple
The leaves on my Japanese maple show brown spots and unhealthy dark colorations. Can you give me any idea of what this might be?
Hood River County Oregon
There is more than one thing this could be and a digital picture would help.
Please read the description of this problem and see if it fits your tree.
Maple (Acer spp.)-Phyllosticta Leaf Spot
- Rake and destroy fallen leaves.
- Avoid overhead irrigation for short trees in the landscape.
- Bordeaux 8-8-100. O
- Daconil Weather Stik at 1.4 pints/100 gal water. Group M5 fungicide. 12-hr reentry.
- Mancozeb-based products. Group M3 fungicides. 24-hr reentry.
- Fore 80 WP at 1.5 lb/100 gal water plus a spreader-sticker.
- Pentathlon DF at 1.5 lb/A plus a spreader-sticker.
- Protect DF at 1 to 2 lb/100 gal water plus 2 to 4 oz spreader-sticker.
- Spectro 90 WDG at 1 to 2 lb/100 gal water. Group 1 + M5 fungicide. 12-hr reentry.
- Tebuject 16 can be used for tree injections. The number of capsules used is based on tree size.
© Oregon State University.
Use pesticides safely!
- Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label. Bathe or shower after each use.
- Read the pesticide label—even if you’ve used the pesticide before. Follow closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).
- Be cautious when you apply pesticides. Know your legal responsibility as a pesticide applicator. You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from pesticide use.