Over the last 4-5 years, I have had an issue with digger bees on a south...

Over the last 4-5 years, I have had an issue with digger bees on a south facing hill on my home property. The bees are digging small holes on the hill. During the day, there are 1000s of these bees flying around. The bees never sting, even when I am mowing the lawn over the holes. How can I get rid of these bees as they are tearing up my lawn?

Howard County Maryland pest control beneficial insects mining bees

Ground bees are beneficial in that they are pollinators of many types of plants. Usually ground bees are not active for long and control should be avoided if possible. You may be able to put out a sprinkler in the area to discourage nesting. In lawns thicken your stand of turf by overseeding in the fall. Reduce exposed soil in ornamental beds by planting groundcovers and applying mulch. In new beds pin down landscape fabric with landscape pins and cover with mulch.
See our publication on mining bees http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG104_Mining_Bees_an...