I spoke to Ellen on Friday, May 23rd. Ellen was extremely helpful and after...

I spoke to Ellen on Friday, May 23rd. Ellen was extremely helpful and after talking to her we think the problem may be with a leak in our kitchen disposal line. We are actually having somebody come on Tuesday to look into that. Ellen suggested that we send a picture of the flies. There are actually two type so flies. One I was able to get a clear picture of, the other one was harder to get a clear picture of so I took 4 pictures. I'm hoping that these pictures can help confirm that the issue is the disposal line or let us know if we have a different issue. Thank you.

Baltimore County Maryland pest control drain flies

Our entomologist confirmed that you have drain flies and also fruit flies. She thinks, based on our conversation, that there is probably a leak in your plumbing lines somewhere. So, it sounds like you're on the right track.

You might want to reread the info on fruit flies in our fly pub for clues about what conditions they can live in: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/non_HGIC_FS/HG26_fli...

We are trying to find a plumber to help us, but we aren’t having much luck. Meanwhile, we have stopped putting food down the disposal in our sink, we actually stopped on Friday May 23rd. We have not seen any reduction in the number of drain flies in the house. Could there be enough of a food supply to last them for a while or does this mean there may be a different issue? Do you have any recommendations that may help us reduce the number of flies until we can find someone to help us? Thank you.

They come out of the drain to pupate so there may be some residuals flying around. You can use an enzyme type cleaner to eliminate the food source. LW

So does it make any sense that we have not seen a reduction in the number of flies?Are there any other things we should consider or does the fact that these are drain flies narrow down the possibilities of what is causing the issue?

If you haven't already, check other drains, sump pump or anywhere there may be standing water. LW