my plant that im trying to identify for Pre-AP Biology has some odd bumps on...

my plant that im trying to identify for Pre-AP Biology has some odd bumps on the leaves and i thought it could help me identify it but now i am more curious than anything what is wrong with it. -Cole

Crawford County Arkansas trees and shrubs plant identification horticulture

Your tree has galls on the leaves. Galls are abnormal growths that occur on leaves, twigs, or branches. They may be simple small bumps like yours or complicated structures,which can have pink spots on them. Galls can be caused by insects or diseases. There are 1500 species of gall producers, the majority of which are insects and mites. Some galls form where insects or mites feed or lay eggs. They may also develop as a response to infections by several kinds of fungi, bacteria, and viruses. They usually look worse than they are, but heavy infestations can cause defoliation. If the galls are on the leaves it is seldom a serious problem. Galls which occur on small twigs, can be more serious. At this stage, there is nothing you can spray to change the damage.