Can you tell me what these are. They are growing in my back yard and im sure...

Asked May 22, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT

Can you tell me what these are. They are growing in my back yard and im sure if it will hurt my dogs.

Kendall County Ohio

1 Response

Although your images are not very clear, it does appear that you have the Dead Man's Fingers fungus. This is a common fungus throughout North America. It is a dead wood decomposer. Here are some web pages with more information:http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/deadmansfingers.htmMushroom Expert Page:http://www.mushroomexpert.com/xylaria_polymorpha.htmlThe mushroom is not consider edible. Part of the inedible definition may be because of the hardness of the fungus. I do not know if there is any concern for dogs eating them.