I have a red rocket crepe myrtle that was planted 2 1/2 years ago. It...

I have a red rocket crepe myrtle that was planted 2 1/2 years ago. It bloomed/grew beautifully the past two summers. Currently, it has no leaf growth. The only signs of life are a few sprouts growing from the root/ground level. I am in a windy location. The crepe myrtle is planted in full sun. I've never cared for a crepe myrtle prior to this plant. Is there something I should do to insure the plant will survive?

Frederick County Maryland trees and shrubs crepe myrtle

Last winter was rough on lots of crape myrtles. With your fingernail, scrape the bark. If there is no green beneath, that portion is dead and should be cut out. Crape myrtles grow rapidly. If you want your crape myrtle to have only one main trunk, remove all the suckers at the base except for the strongest one which will become the trunk of your crape myrtle. When it gets dry, be sure to water deeply once a week. vw