bird mites

I have bird mites in my home due to a nest in a hole outside my window. EVERYWHERE I look for information contradicts everything else I've read. I'm waiting for the pest control purple to come with the wild life guy, but they won't be able to do it until next week. I've been told to vacuum by some sites, others say not to because mites will get stuck inside and sneak back out. Some sites say the mites can't live/reproduce off human blood, some say they can. I have no idea what to believe our what to do. Please help me figure out what I can do to end this.

Providence County Rhode Island wildlife damage management human-wildlife issues urban integrated pest management

Please excuse the delay in our response The following publication from Pennsylvania has a concise explanation on what to do with a bird mite infestation. As you will note the difference in blood meal requirement varies with species. However the management options are similar "If mites are detected in the structure, locate the bird nest source. Remove the nest. Do not spray insecticides on the interior living areas. Insecticidal sprays may be useful in attics, inside soffits and around exterior nest locations. Use a synthetic pyrethroid such as bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin or lambda-cyhalothrin. Mites in living areas can be removed with a damp cloth (ethyl alcohol works well on non-porous surfaces) or with a vacuum cleaner. " http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bird-mites It also has info on places to inspect in you home for bird nests and ideas to reduce the potential for bird nest building. This Minnesota Extension publication notes that if you do vacuum to freeze the filter bag in that the heat will not kill the mite. Therefore, if you have a bagless vacuum be sure an empty separately - perhaps even in a container then freezing or discarding away from the house immediately. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/bird-and-rodent-mites-in-homes/