Can this cherry tree be saved? Not sure what is going on. Gets every sappy...

Can this cherry tree be saved? Not sure what is going on. Gets every sappy mid-summer.

Carroll County Maryland fruit cherry trees

The damage to the trunk of your cherry does not look good. It is not something that can be fixed. How is the rest of your tree? Is it where it could fall on you or your house? http://extension.umd.edu/learn/how-do-you-decide-when-remove-tree vw

It is far away from the house and only about six years old. I'm guessing there is nothing I can do. Should I remove it or just let it be. If it were not for the trunk, it would appear to be a healthy tree.

It is your choice as to how long you would like to have it in your yard. You could plant another tree and allow it to become established and then cut down this one. vw