I have 3 Bird's Nest Yews (perhaps a spruce variety?) that have been in front...

I have 3 Bird's Nest Yews (perhaps a spruce variety?) that have been in front of my house for more than 25 years. They are encroaching on my sidewalk and I would like to trim them back. Can you tell me the best time of year to do that? Is there a suggested limit to how much I can trim? If I trim back to the point where there is no growing greenery, will it regrow from there? Thanks, John Mattson

Hennepin County Minnesota

Yews are pretty tolerant of pruning anytime of year, but late winter - early spring is best. If you have large plants that are very overgrown you should consider this a 2-3 year project because we don't recommend removing more that 25% of living material at one time.

Here is a link that will give you some advise on how to prune:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/pruning-trees-shrubs/

I hope thisi is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.