After the terrible winter we had here in the Mid-atlantic, most of my plants...

After the terrible winter we had here in the Mid-atlantic, most of my plants have come back around (albeit anywhere from 1-3 weeks behind the normal schedule). As we sit here on May 19, however, my hydrangeas (plants are @5 feet high, @6-8 years old) are bare except for a little leaf activity at the bottom. There are buds on the bare branches but they are still closed up tight. Normally they are in full bloom in early June. Did the winter kill them?

Maryland shrubs hydrangea winter burn

Hydrangeas were especially hard hit all over Maryland this winter. There have been numerous reports of damage of varying degree. It may be appropriate for you to wait another couple of weeks to determine the extent of recovery before pruning out dead tissue. The new growth is encouraging, but it will obviously take a couple of years to regain a shrub capable of blooming.
LS