Death to Ol'Mature Boxwood-Hedges

5-16-14; Recently I ask a question in regrds. to several of our"Ol'Matured Boxwood Hedges"die'g & on some, showing brown dead leaves/stems, this year. It was graciously answered & deeply appreciated.! However, the answer seem to come straight out of a Technology Bk.!! We understood little, to none of the answer. Would U please forward a more "Down-to Earth" answer.? We've no degrees, nor experience in Horticulture. We have horses. Thank you, once again for your time & hopefully your understanding with this unfortunate occurrence. Respectfully, Jack & Bubbles Wilhite..Drought Stricken Texas

Hockley County Texas trees and shrubs horticulture

Jack and Bubbles,

I'll certainly do my best! After reading Dr. Woodson's response, I'd definitely agree that it could be a couple of things. From what I've seen around the region, free damage is most likely your culprit. I've seen many Boxwoods in rough shape after the harsh winters and late April (or May) freezes we've had the past couple of years. Combine that with the drought and you have a perfect storm of circumstances which can lead to plant decline and death.

Additionally, you could be witnessing some root rot and damage if you're over-watering as an attempt to keep up with our dry conditions. You want the soil around your shrubs to have some moisture when you dig down to a depth of 1-3 inches, but you don't want to keep the soil wet and saturated. All parts of the plant need oxygen, including the roots, and you can "drown" them by keeping your soil too soggy. Also, a lot of plant diseases are more prevalent and spread more easily through very wet soil conditions.

Is there any way you could upload some images of your damaged plants? It can be a lot more difficult to give you a solid answer without seeing what we're dealing with.