Do we need to report a gypsy moth infestation? If so, we have a large blue...

Do we need to report a gypsy moth infestation? If so, we have a large blue spruce that has become infested. I have heavily treated the tree this spring with a systemic, but I have my doubts about whether this do-it-yourself approach will work.

Baltimore County Maryland gypsy moth invasive

Scientists have found that when the general population of gypsy moths go down, for some unknown reason they have a tendency to attack blue spruce.
What pesticide did you use? Was gypsy moth on the label? The systemic insecticide imidacloprid does not work on members of the lepidoptera order of insects, which includes moths and butterflies. Bt is harmless to people and wildlife, but only works when the caterpillars are very small. If the tree is small enough, you could spray with products containing Spinosad. If it is large, you will need to hire a tree company with the equipment able to complete the job.