What is causing my sorrel to turn brown? I started the plants from seed...

What is causing my sorrel to turn brown? I started the plants from seed indoors in late February/early March. I hardened off the plants a bit before planting in the garden in mid-April. I noticed the problem about 5 days ago. The problem is worsening. The plants were put in a new bed created in the vicinity of my old compost bin. It is a sunny location in front of a short brick wall. I use no pesticides. I fertilized with a diluted solution of fish emulsion and kelp about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Montgomery County Maryland herbs cold damage sorrel

Your sorrel is suffering from cold damage. From your description, the sorrel was planted in a very nutrient-rich location and was then augmented with fish and kelp emulsion. This combination probably promoted a burst of tender new growth and that tender growth was very susceptible to cold damage. The plant should grow out of the problem.
LS