high altitude baking

We have a cabin at the far end of Wallowa Lake up the mountain beyond the Methodist Camp. I bought a Hamilton Beach Toaster Over because our stove is old and the oven doesn't work any more. How do I adjust receipes for baking in this altitude? When the regular oven worked, everything burned if I baked it at pkg. direction and time

Wallowa County Oregon high altitude food preparation

Hi. You are very lucky to have a cabin in such a beautiful area! However, you are right, you may need to adjust some times and or alter the ingredients when you are baking. Most packaged foods will have high altitude instructions that you can try. If you are cooking from scratch, you will need to experiment a little, and watch you baked goods a little closer to ensure a quality product. Here are a few things to try:
1. Increase the temperature and/or baking time. Foods may take longer to bake.
2. Liquids may evaporate faster, so you may need to decrease the amount of flour (start with 1 to 2 Tablespoons) in recipes or add a little more liquid.
3. If you are baking from scratch, you may baking from scratch, you may need to decrease the leavening ingredients (like baking powder or baking soda). Start by decreasing by 1/8 to 1/4 of a teaspoon.