Weed control

Asked May 14, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Our Borough is considering using a store grade i.e. Round-up Scotts etc. for weed control instead of commercial grade products. Does that require an application license?

Westmoreland County Pennsylvania

1 Response

A public pesticide certification would be required for the borough to apply pesticides, regardless if the pesticide being applied is general use or restricted use. More specifically, pesticide certification as a commercial or public applicator is required if:

  • A pesticide is being made to a property not owned or rented by the applicator or their employer.
  • Restricted use pesticides or fumigants are being applied on a property rented or owned by the applicator, but are not appled for the production of an agricultural crop.
  • Pesticides are being applied to apartments of four or more units, golf courses, parks, playgrounds/athletic fields, swimming pools for other than single-family residences, education/research institutions, and schools, including public and private day care centers with seven or more children.
For more information about the certification process, please see our brochure:
http://extension.psu.edu/pests/pesticide-education/applicators/certification/brochure (view as a web page)
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uo205.pdf (pdf file)

I hope this information is helpful to you. You can email me back if you have further questions or contact your regional Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture office at: 724-443-1585.