Roots

How can you get rid of roots coming off of a elm tree? They are all over my yard. I have tried chopping them out with a ax but they just come back in the same place.

Weld County Colorado

Good Morning,

The only way to get rid of elm roots that keep returning is to get rid of the tree. You don't state if the "mother elm" is in your yard or a neighbor's. Not much you can do if it's your neighbor's tree, unless he or she will agree to take it down. If it is on your property, I would suggest taking the "Mother" down, drill several holes in the trunk and fill them with Roundup concentrate. This must be done while the hole is fresh so the Roundup can get into the xylem and phloem (the circulation system of the tree). Good luck, Elms are notoriously invasive, especially the scrap elms (Siberian Elms, Chineses elms, etc) we have such a proliferation of around here.

Nancy DeKlyn and Janene Wiley
Master Gardeners
Colorado Extension Services Weld County