I have a forsythia bush that is doing well and appears to be spreading. Can...

I have a forsythia bush that is doing well and appears to be spreading. Can it be divided or should I leave it alone? I don't want to damage it. Marsha Balfanz

Nicollet County Minnesota

Forsythia bushes probably can't be divided without causing major injury to the root system, but they can be successfully propagated by cutting. Using a clean knife or pruning shears cut a few of the new shoots and simply put them in water. Most, if not all of them will eventually start rooting, They can then be planted in the garden. This should be done in early spring, so this is a good time.

You may also be able to dig out some of the new shoots that are appearing around the main plant. Try to get as many roots as possible, but be careful of damaging the "parent " plant roots. Mulch the parent plant, taking care not leave a couple of inches around the main stems.

I hope this is helpful, Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.