Every year we have winter kill, I'm assuming, from the salt that is put on...

Every year we have winter kill, I'm assuming, from the salt that is put on the roads. The grass dies along the street and halfway up our driveway. I'm tired of fighting it every year. Is there something you recommend? Groundcover, mulch, etc.?:

Washington County Minnesota salt

Thank you for the question. You can plant salt resistant plants or do away with plant material completely and mulch or rock. However, mulch and rock get dislodged by plows and shovels unless you install a rigid barrier between them and the drive/street. Mulch eventually composts and you would need to add more every few years and pull some weeds even if you use landscape fabric. Rock collects debris which composts and starts to grow weeds unless you keep it quite clean. Another thing to keep in mind is that once rock is in place, it is very hard to get rid of if you change your mind and want it removed at some point. Another option is to plant salt resistant plants. You might want to plant something with a low profile to maintain good sight lines when backing out of the drive. Please go to this link on the University of Minnesota's Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series website. Scroll down to the section on salt tolerant plants:
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/maint/nutrition.html