Hi- I have a 3 year old Montmorency cherry tree that was severely gnawed on...

Hi- I have a 3 year old Montmorency cherry tree that was severely gnawed on by rabbits over the winter (all the way round the trunk at some points). Now it is spring, and there is a 4 inch vertical crack in this section. No leafing I it has occurred (my other, ungnawed cherry hasn't leafed out yet either), but there is green growth right at the base of the tree. It is so low, I wonder if it might be the rootstock the tree was grafted to, but don't know enought to tell. Can you tell me if their is hope for a cracked tree? What if only the base is alive- do I cut it down to the ground? Any thoughts appreciated, and I'll add photos.

Hennepin County Minnesota cherry trees

Montmorency cherry is the most popular tart cherry in America. The tastiness of its bright, red cherries in pies and preserves make it a favorite with cooks, while its tolerance for temperature extremes, its production, and the firmness of its fruit are appreciated by farmers and shippers. Our standard Montmorency seedlings are budded to Prunus mahalb. The tree bark-less is dead or it would not have cracked and can be saved if it sprouts from above the graft, other wise replace it.
Sorry!