Early Spring Aspapagus

I have a four year old asparagus patch. The stalks are growing very abundantly this spring, but are very small in diameter. What do I need to do to increase the size of the asparagus stalks? Could it be our soil or a need for fertilizer?

Mercer County North Dakota asparagus horticulture

Thin spears can be caused by lack of sun, lack of soil nutrients, or an immature patch.

1. Your asparagus patch would like 8 hours of full sun per day. Asparagus plantings grown in shady spots will develop tall and spindly spears.

2. I recommend you get a soil test. Contact your local county Extension office in Beulah. Craig Askim is the Agriculture Agent there. Get a soil test bag and forms/instructions. I would do this ASAP. You will get the results in two weeks and understand what you need to add to your soil to promote strong asparagus growth. Perhaps you are missing a critical nutrient or lack organic matter in the soil. Follow the instructions in the report and you should have much better asparagus next spring.

3. After three years, your patch should be mature enough to produce quality spears.

Overall, I suspect you need to fertilize the land.