What kind of fungus is this?

Asked May 6, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

We moved into a place in March and about a month ago, I noticed these little spots popping up all over the place. Under my apple trees and in my raspberry/blackberry bed. I have tried to pull them up but them crumble the moment I try to, leaving little pieces everywhere.
I've researched mushrooms and fungus but have had no luck in finding something that is this open on the inside. Can someone tell me what kind this is? If its harmful for pets and the best way to get rid of it?

Henrico County Virginia mushrooms fungi

1 Response

There is an assortment of fungi that make their homes in hardwood mulch. It is hard to tell from the photo how large it is. Most of these aren't a problem-just unattractive. Please give me a call at the extension office in Henrico County at 501-5160.