Cucumber and Squash and Cross Pollinating

hello! Last year my two types of cucumbers cross pollinated. I heard that squash will do this as well? I would like to grow Sweet Meat, Zucchini and Trombone squash this year and I am wondering if they will cross and how to prevent it. Also, I am growing two types of cukes but I am going to keep them seperated by putting them on either side of the house! Thank you, Lindsay

Clackamas County Oregon cucumbers squash cross pollination vegetable gardening

Thank you for your question to Ask an Expert.

Are you saving seeds from your squash and cucumbers this season? If cross pollination occurs, it will not change the nature of the fruits this year, but would show up in the next generation of crops if you plant seeds in 2015 that you save in 2014. If you are planning to save seed, then you will need to isolate the crops with distance or insect netting and perform hand pollination to ensure that the plants self-fertilize. This process is difficult and best left to professional seed breeeders.

If you are not saving seed from the crops, then you can grow them adjacent to each other without any problems in terms of pollination.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston