I'm looking for a tree that will tolerate a lot of water. I have an area that...

I'm looking for a tree that will tolerate a lot of water. I have an area that gets a lot of water from my sprinkler system and several trees have not been able to tolerate the amount of water the system delivers to this area.

Natrona County Wyoming trees and shrubs riparian tree horticulture

It sounds like you have conditions similar to riparian areas in the state. That would mean the plant has its roots in water most of the time. I would suggest that maybe you change your watering practices to more sustainable practices that don't put you landscape at risk of diseases due to high moisture.

However, if that is not a feasible solution, you could consider some trees that grow in riparian areas. Unfortunately none of these trees are long lived, as they grow fast and have very soft wood. The four that quickly come to mind are Aspen, cottonwood, willow or birch.

If you would like more information on watering or tree selection please feel free to contact our local office at 235-9400 or stop by 2011 Fairgrounds Road for some publications on watering or tree care and selection.