Starting bee hives

Hi. I have contacted a local bee keeper to put a few hives on our 5 acres. He originally said yes, but is now hesitant. I would like to place a few hives on our property (5 acres) near Brandon, SD but don't know how to go about it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Minnehaha County South Dakota

Many beekeepers rent their colonies to place on other people's property for pollination services. However some beekeepers may be happy to place colonies for free if the site is good for honey production. The beekeeper may have a minimum number of colonies that he can place to optimize their time involved in maintaining them. Maintaining colonies can be expensive. They also may have requirements on access where they may need to be able to drive up to the site of the colonies to load, and unload them. Continue to ask around about who is keeping bees in your area and in need of a location.