I have three Acuba crotonofolia plants placed two years ago. The leaves...

I have three Acuba crotonofolia plants placed two years ago. The leaves developed spots, turned black, fell off and then the stems started to turn black. I sprayed it with a fungicide...didn't seem to help much. It is in shade and the one most affected is in the most shade. Root rot? Fungus? Is this something I can fix or is it just a bad place to place these plants and I should pick something else?

Baltimore County Maryland shrubs cold damage aucuba

The aucuba plant in your photo looks like it was subject to cold damage. Many broadleaf plants were affected by our cold winter and aucuba is very susceptible. They grow best in the shade (north and east side of homes) in a moist well drained high organic matter soil. They do not like full sun windy locations especially in the winter.
At this point wait for new growth and then prune any dead plant material. Fungicides do not control abiotic problems such as cold damage.