leafhoppers

Last summer I had an infestation of leaf hoppers who particularly liked my Virginia Creeper, which grow along two fences enclosing my yard. They also sucked the life out of various vegetables in my garden. I tried an insecticial soap but by then their numbers were massive. I have already seen them this spring at the base of my creeper, just waiting for the green to appear. What do you suggest? Millie

El Paso County Colorado garden insects

Hi Millie, Thank you for your question. Can you please collect one of the insects and take a picture of it or bring it into the Master Gardener Help Desk to properly identify? If you send the pictures via email I can identify, or you can put a few in a jar and take them to 17 North Spruce, Monday thru Friday from 9 a.m. to Noon. Thanks again for your question.

Thanks for getting back to me Kerry. I have already identified the insect as Virginia creeper leafhopper, Erythroneura ziczac Walsh. I was wondering what I can do to control them before my Creeper blossoms out.

Thanks, Millie

Thanks Millie,

E. Ziczac nymphs feed on the underside of leaves.

Late Spring through Berry Maturation try:
Carbaryl 4F
Neem based insecticides
Provado
M. Pede
Some of these may not be available to the public, but it is worth researching.

Their natural predators include Lady bug pupae, Anagras-epos - parasitic wasp and Lacewing larvae Spiders.