Hi, I have what I believe is a Bay tree. It is about 3 feet tall, is potted...

Hi, I have what I believe is a Bay tree. It is about 3 feet tall, is potted and I keep it indoors. It got scale about a year ago and had been declining in health ever since. All the branches are now dead and it also appears that the top half of the main trunk is dead. I see green under the bark (when I've scrapped it) further down the trunk but the top is dry and brown. What should I do? Cut the top half off? Or is it a goner? Thank you so much!

Hennepin County Minnesota bay tree

We are sorry for the loss of your tree. Here is a link containing information on growing them in containers.
http://gardening.about.com/od/herbsatoz/a/Bay_Laurel.htm

So does that mean it's dead? I didn't really find an answer in the info you provided.

Although we feel your plant is beyond help, why not hope by placing it outside (just bring it in if frost is forecast). Perhaps it went dormant and will come back.

Ok, sounds good. Thank you so much for your help!