Testing ponds and small lakes

Asked April 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

Who do I call to get water test kits to test our pond or small lake in Louisa County? Also need to know where to obtain Bleach tables for our well? And Test for drinking water.

Louisa County Virginia

1 Response

For the pond or small lake, what do you want to test for? Are you having a particular problem or is there a symptom of some kind? I can help you find a lab if you have a little more information about why you want to test, or what you want to test for. We have drinking water clinics for people with wells and springs in counties across Virginia through the local Extension offices. We actually had one in Louisa last week, and have another one planned next week for Orange county, which you may be able to get into. Please visit www.wellwater.bse.vt.edu/events.php for information on these events, and http://www.wellwater.bse.vt.edu/clinics.php for a description of what our drinking water clinics include. If you can't make it to Orange, we have clinics in Fauquier, Rappahannock and Culpeper coming us as well. I can also help you find a private lab to test with if that is preferable.
Regarding shock chlorination, we recommend you hire a licensed well driller to do it for you, if possible. If you want to do it yourself, we have this publication which describes the whole process in detail: http://www.wellwater.bse.vt.edu/files/SHOCK442-663_PDF.pdf. You can use plain bleach (not scented) or sodium hypochlorite tablets. Make sure to check the publication or check with a well driller to make sure you measure correctly. There is also a helpful video here from Montana's Extension service: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ6FxK6cwk.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions.

Erin Ling, M.S.
Sr. Extension Associate
Virginia Household Water Quality Program
Virginia Master Well Owner Network
Biological Systems Engineering Department
Virginia Tech and Virginia Cooperative Extension