Hello, I have an extensive English Ivy bed that has turned completely brown...

Hello, I have an extensive English Ivy bed that has turned completely brown over this winter. The bed is at least 40 years old. When I scrape the vine, some places have green underneath, some don't. The entire bed looks dead. I've raked the dead leaves out of part of the bed -hoping new growth might happen. I have seen one or two. I've lived here 17 years and have never seen this before. Any suggestions? Thank you, Nora MacFarlane

Hamilton County Ohio english ivy

Hi,Hamilton County! You are on the right track. I would clean out all the dead leaves from last season, water the bed, lightly fertilize the bed with a water soluble brand if you have some, then wait for new growth to come out. It is still early in the season. You should expect some new growth be the middle of May. If nothing much by then you probably need to start over. Donk