I had wrapped my cedar trees for the winter. I had looked at the weather...

I had wrapped my cedar trees for the winter. I had looked at the weather forecast and it was predicted not to be lower than 2Celcius. Then it dropped to -2 Celcius. Is there anything I can do to prevent damage. When I got up I washed the frost off the tree. I live in BC CanadaThanks. Chris

Outside United States trees and shrubs frost protection horticulture

Dear Chris, I am not familiar with your growing conditions, however those temperatures should not affect most cedars. A bigger concern is dessicating wind which dries and burns the foliage. This can be avoided by keeping them watered, but that is usually taken care of by frequent rain in the Pacific northwest.

In Ontario, where I garden, I generally try to steer people away from wrapping trees for winter. It looks bad, which is counter-productive to landscaping for aesthetics. It should be unnecessary provided you 1. choose varieties that are hardy in your area 2. they are properly pruned. (Cedars should never be flat-topped.) and 3.evergreens such as cedars are fully hydrated going into the winter.

I hope this information is helpful.