I HAD 20 SOME MONTMORENCY CHERRY TREES PLANTED FROM 3 YEAR ROOTSTOCK THAT HAD...

I HAD 20 SOME MONTMORENCY CHERRY TREES PLANTED FROM 3 YEAR ROOTSTOCK THAT HAD BEEN PLANTED AND GROWING FOR 5 YEARS THIS PAST SUMMER, THEY WERE JUST STARTING TO BEAR FRUIT. MID SUMMER I NOTICED LEAVES STARTED TO SO WILT THEN TURNED BROWN SAME THING WITH SOME YOUNGER MONTMORENCY PLANTED IN DIFFERENT LOCATION. I ALSO HAD 3 VARIETIES OF SWEET CHERRYS OF THE SAME AGE AND PLANTED IN THE SAME AREA AS THE MONTIES AND THEY WERE NOT AFFECTED STAYED HEALTHY AND VIBRANT. I STOPPED BY THE RC EXTENSION OFFICE TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM THEY HAD NOT HAD QUESTIONS FROM ANYONE ELSE WITH PROBLEM OF THIS NATURE. ONLY THING WAS WE HAD A LOT OF RAINFALL LAST SUMMER, BUT MOST OF THESE WERE PLANTED ON A SLOPE AND WOULD HAVE HAD GOOD DRAINAGE AND HAD BEEN PLANTED WITH A MIXTURE OF SAND AND POTTING SOIL. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM, MY AREA OF SOUTHERN RICHLAND COUNTY WAS ALWAYS GOOD AREA FOR MONTMORENCH CHERRIES

Richland County Ohio

Hi There,Montmorency cherry is one of the best pie cherry varieties. The only thing I can think of is borers, peachtree borer to be more exact, since peach trees and cherry trees are closely related.Look for borer holes at the base of the tree trunk. Follow this link for more information: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/pdf/2032.pdfIf you cannot find any borer holes, we may have to keep "digging" or looking.