wood borers in my young red oak tree

Discovered holes that probably started where we damaged bark during planting..
Read articles from TAMU about treatment and gathered that spraying might be necessary, but a nursery person who sold me a systemic treatment (Bayer Tree & Shrub Protect & feed) told me that this was all that was needed...Please advise-also should I try to cover the damaged areas/holes? Am going to attempt to send pics...

McCulloch County Texas

Yes, I believe the product you mentioned has the chemical imidacloprid in it and that is the best treatment. Should just be applied on the ground and watered in. If the areas on the trunk that are significantly damaged are south or west facing and get a lot of sun, wrapping with some burlap might help a little, but the main thing to do would be apply the insect control, and water it well. We have seen a lot of damage to red oaks in the last few years because of the heat and drought. Hope this helps!
~Allison