I have a young lilac bush that I've been nursing for a few years. Starting...

I have a young lilac bush that I've been nursing for a few years. Starting out as a 4inch tall "bud", it's not about 5 feet tall and in a big pot on my deck. The new shoots were already going strong, and the first flower buds I've ever seen were apparent on this years growth. Today, almost all of the lilac bushes in my neighborhood have drooping shoots and flimsy leaves. Did the cold snap last night do in the new shoots? Will they recover?

Montgomery County Maryland shrubs lilac bushes

Many plants will droop as a reaction to late frosts, but it's impossible for us to say how cold it got in your microclimate and how much damage may have occurred to plants. The good news is that lilacs are not a southern plant, They need a good cold winter in order to bloom and thus should be more accustomed to dealing with cold snaps.

When you're growing plants in pots, it's important to keep in mind that air temperature get much colder than soil temperature. That's why the rule of thumb for selecting permanent container plants is to choose one with a zone hardiness that goes at least 1 to 2 zones colder than the zone you are in.