Last year I planted a Star Jasmine on a new trellis in the front of my house....

Last year I planted a Star Jasmine on a new trellis in the front of my house. It did very well until about February when we had such a cold spell. It has died and folks have told me that it may not do well over the winter because it is not close to the house. Your thoughts on this or any other flowering vine that would be good.

District of Columbia County District of Columbia vines star jasmine possible winter damage

Star Jasmine is hardy to Zone 8. It is possible it may overwinter in a protected area near your house in full sun. Or you may want to plant in a container with a means of support and it does need to be trained. Plants overwintered indoors should be set in a bright cool location. Allow soil to dry between waterings and do not fertilize.
You did not mention the site sun or shade. If you want to replace consider clematis or lonicera sempervirens (native honeysuckle) for full sun to part shade. These vines are hardy in our area.