Sod Laid On Clay
My homebuilder's landscaper laid sod on compacted clay with no soil prep. What steps, if any, can I take to improve my soil with the sod sitting on it? The grass has not taken root as of yet. I live in Northern Colorado with a west facing front lawn which will be subject to full sun.
Boulder County Colorado
We recommend the following:
- It is very important to have your soil tested first. It is the only way to know exactly what ammendments need to be done.
- You mentioned the grass has not taken root yet. Use a sod roller to help the roots to make contact with the soil.
- Core aeration will relieve soil compaction.
- Watering practices with a new sod are very important depending on the type of turf you have and, with it being a new lawn, you may need to water frequently.
- Your soil test will determine when and how much fertilizer you need.
Attached are CSU fact sheet that will provide detailed information.
Hope this helps,