I have a 3 1/2 foot Black Walnut & I Planted it 30 Feet from My Parents...

I have a 3 1/2 foot Black Walnut & I Planted it 30 Feet from My Parents Grape Vin & I believe it's to close to it & I need to Re-Transplant the Tree Since Black Walnuts Kill most trees next to it & I was wondering if I Re Transplant the Tree if it would kill it or not or are Black Walnuts really good at serving after a Transplant? & how big should I dig around the drunk some people say double the size around? Also I heard the most size around the tree I should do it is 80 feet around the tree? I plan on replanting it somewhere else no matter what. But how should I go about doing it? I have another spot I plan on planting it. My last Question when would be the best time to transplant it? I want to do it before Summer Starts that way I know it will service this summer. Thanks again.

Onondaga County New York trees and shrubs tree health transplanting black walnut tree

According to the US Forest Service, a black walnut on a good site can grow up to 130 feet tall, although 70-90 feet is more common. The root zone for a full grown tree will extend up to twice the width of the canopy. The root tips emit most of the juglone, which is the chemical that deters other plants from growing.

Domestic grapes do not tolerate juglone well. Further, grapes need to be planted in full sun. I would think 80 feet should be sufficient between the tree and the grapevines.

You can move the tree as soon as the soil has dried slightly from snow melt and spring rain. (Never work the soil if it is wet.) The success of moving the tree depends on how much of the roots you are able to salvage. To move the tree, use a sharp spade to slice straight down in a circle around the trunk. The bigger the circle, the more roots you will catch. Then try to get two spades under the plant, and try to lift it rather than tearing the roots.

The new hole should be several inches wider than the root ball, but no deeper. Do not disturb the soil at the bottom of the hole. Water the hole thoroughly, and allow all the water to drain. Then set the tree in the center, making sure it sits at the same level (or perhaps an inch or two higher) than it did in it's orginal site. Do not mix any amendments into the fill soil. Fill the hole, tamping the ground lightly but firmly. Apply 2 to 3 inches of organic mulch over the entire hole and a foot beyond, but keep the mulch at least 6 inches away from the tree bark. Keep the tree well-watered during the first season. Apply 1 to 2 inches of water per week if there is no rain. A slow, deep drip irrigation system is most beneficial.

I hope this information is helpful.